Wednesday, April 25, 2007


I think I may have 5 min. while she naps - maybe...

Still trying to get Addi on a schedule and napping in her crib, and it's been a crappy few days, especially with Brendon out of town for work again. Tried the cry-it-out method for two days and after multiple rounds of hour long screaming, gave it up. It was truly heartbreaking and I felt like the worst mom in the world! So, now we're on the baby whisperer plan. Had to pick up her up to comfort and put her back down 22 times last night and 30 minutes until she fell asleep. This is down from 50 something times the night before and an hour and a half long battle. Today she went down for a nap in 10 min with only 4! Uh, oh - it's only been 25 minutes and I hear her again, will she go back to sleep on her own this time...wait for it, wait for it...

Anyway, for all you expecting parents, I highly suggest getting them to sleep on their own from the beginning if you don't want them in your bed for years or a battle of wills to break the bad habits later down the road. Damn the midwife for telling me to put her in our bed at night and not telling me to transition her to the crib after the first week or two! Gotta run, munchkin's still calling---

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey Peony,
Addi is beautiful. Look at all that hair.
I know the sleeping thing is hard. I totally understand. Do you have a swing? We had to get a swing and Finley slept in it for like 4 mos. Maybe longer. It was the lay down kind so she felt snug as if we were holding her.
I tried the cry it out until a sleep expert told us not to do the cry it out method until after 6 mos. It feels so horrible to hear them cry. I still hate it. Do you still swaddle? Im sure you have tried and heard it all but if not I hope these help. Its all about trial and error. Usually more error than anything. Good luck I am sure you are doing wonderful.

Melanie

Tanya said...

I just found your blog tonight, and I can't help posting. Something in your post resonated with me. When you mentioned trying sleep training, you said that "It was truly heartbreaking and I felt like the worst mom in the world!"

I would encourage you to look to yourself and your baby before following what a book tells you to do. If it doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't right for you. Two books that helped me with this concept are "Listening to Your Baby" by Dr. Jay Gordon and "Let the Baby Drive" by Lu Hannesain. Your baby needs you. It's scary alone in the dark...behind bars! LOL! Co-sleeping is normal, and will not harm your child or be a "bad habit", as you put it. Your child will not be spoiled if you meet their needs. I would encourage you to research the issue further. I don't think you are completely aware of how detrimental it is to respond to your baby when they need you. Books on sleep-training often don't touch on this aspect of their method.

Good luck, and I hope you find what works best for your family. Remember that you know your family better than your doctor, so-called experts, and even me!

Tanya said...

I know I already commented, but I can't help adding one more thought. Do you have a sling? I didn't have one for my first, but I've had one for my #2 and #3 babies. It is a complete lifesaver! I'm able to get things done and the baby doesn't cry. We're both happy! Check out www.mayawrap.com. I have that kind and I love it! You might feel so liberated if you try it.